Body Story-development through movement studies one.

For my body story assignment there were two particular areas that interested me, the first was the muscular system especially within my feet. This area interested me especially because I had particular injuries e.g. pulled ligaments in my foot and overstretching of the muscles causing my arch to collapse in both feet. In my research I have looked at the differences between ligaments and tendons and which one does which job. Both injuries were caused by an overworking of the foot through ballet. Since being at university, I have found different ways of work around this and learnt to soften through my feet, through more bending of the knees therefore releasing tension off my feet as I land. Also I have found that by not articulating my feet so much in dance, so that its in an abnormal point in the air, I can perform a lot more jumps sequences or a longer period of time without it aching.

The next system that has interested me with my research has been energy systems. For me this was a big part of my life when I was 15, as I was diagnosed with exhaustion, that led onto depression. Daily tasks seemed stifling simply because of the lack of energy I had. At that point in my life I had to learn to just deal with it and carry on because of school and dancing commitments, but now at university I've got to learn more about it and how I can deal with it in periods of exhaustion. The classes we had in The Alexander Technique were especially helpful, finding ways of carrying out daily movements/activities with less energy so that you yield it for others. Next the lecture given on nutrition by Kayte, made me reevaluate what I was eating and how that may affect my energy levels within in class. I now eat breakfast almost everyday and eat far more wholesome foods e.g.wholemeal bread, brown rice, which give a greater energy yielding than plain forms of these. I believe that my concentration levels have improved within in class and I wish to continue to find ways of helping myself find more energy.

No comments:

Post a Comment