Alexander Technique.




"Movement never lies...Dance should illuminate the landscape of the soul." M.G.

In January I took part in two Alexander Technique classes with Lucia Walker. The Alexander technique is a method of noticing habits within our everyday movement, that we can change so that we release harmful tension. The technique also looks at the use of different amounts of energy for different movements. We looked at how we could reduce the amount of effort for one movement/activity so that it yields energy for many more. Within the class I noticed I carried unnecessary tension in areas that were very unrelated to the activity I was doing e.g. when I'm walking, I clench my throat and jaw, making my head be pushed back. I became very aware of this clenching in the days that followed and would have to stop and really think about not to do because it had become a natural process to do. Also on the day, Lucia got us to simply sit in an upright position. Immediately everyone sat bolt upright, which isn't a natural position. But after some explanation from Lucia, we attempted to find a better sitting position for our bodies, which would release tension and allow us to breath. I found this task exceptionally difficult as I arranged myself in a theoretically better position but it was still uncomfortable. I sit forwards on my sit bones and a hunched over position because that's the only way I can sit unaided for a long period of time without my back muscles starting to ache. For me it raised some questions; Do I have an injury? Weak back muscles? Am I doing my body more harm? or just because its not comfortable now, does that mean it always will be?

No comments:

Post a Comment